Jellof rice is to die for but when you want a change, try turmeric coconut milk rice. It is so easy to prepare. I just had it for lunch. Turmeric is a spice that comes from the turmeric plant. You probably know turmeric as the main spice in curry. It has a warm, bitter taste and is frequently used to flavor or color curry powders, mustard, butters, and cheeses. But the root of turmeric is also used widely to make medicine. It contains a yellow-colored chemical called curcumin, which is often used to color foods and cosmetics.
- 3 cups of Rice
- 3 tsp turmeric powder
- 4 TBsp soy oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup of chopped tomatoes
- 1 green pepper,chopped
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 400 ml trio can coconut milk
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 seasoning cube
- 1 TBsp pepper
- salt, to taste
- Dill for garnish
- Parboil rice, wash and drain.
- Heat oil in a large pot on medium high, cook onion and garlic until soft about a minute.
- Stir in chopped tomatoes, green pepper, thyme and cook for 4 minutes stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- In another pot add beef broth, coconut milk, pepper, salt and seasoning cube. Bring to boil.
- Add turmeric powder, then add rice and stir until rice is fully coated yellow.
- Cover and reduce to simmer on low for 15 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Remove from heat and uncover to let off steam so the rice dont get too soft.
- Garnish with dill