Ukpo is a seed used in thickening soups especially in the Eastern part of Nigeria .
I had this craving for sea food so l decided to cook Ukpo with sea food. You can eat this soup with Rice,Yam,Fufu or Garri but for today am eating it with ground rice.
- 3kg Catfish(cut and cleaned)
- 80g ground Crayfish
- 40g fresh Pepper (blended)
- 100g Ukpo (boiled and ground)
- 3TBsp Palm Oil
- 100g Shrimps (deveined)
- 100g Mushroom
- 100g Periwinkle
- Uziza (to sprinkle)
- Cut and clean fish . Season and bring to boil for 15 minutes.
- Add shrimps mushroom and periwinkle to the fish and continue cooking for 10 minutes.
- Add the Palm oil ,crayfish, ukpo, pepper and cook for another 10 minutes. Add salt to taste. Eat with any
Swallowof your choice.
- I used Uziza because it has a sort of tangy bitter taste and l love spicy food. Don’t add it to the whole soup or steam it because it will become bitter. Just sprinkle it on the soup you are about to eat. You can use any leaf of your choice.
- Swallow is any starch side dish that accompany soup in Nigeria like Eba, Fufu, Yam, Semovita, Amala or Wheat but today l used ground rice as the accompaniment .